The University Co-Operative store, which was located on the first floor of the Union Building, was a student-owned, student-operated facility in which students could buy books and supplies as well as lunch and fountain drinks. In 1943, the Coop’s (as it was referred to on campus) business hours ran from 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., with the busiest time being between 8:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. every weeknight. The workers at the Co-Op were popular figures on campus, and the employment was controlled so that no more than two students from the same fraternity would be employed at the Co-Op at any given time. According to the 1940 Coyote, Co-Op employees earned $0.20 per hour for their first semester of work, $0.25 an hour for their second semester of work, and $0.30 an hour after that.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.