Students of the first University classes with Dr. Ephraim M. Epstein (first President of the University) in front of the Clay County Courthouse. Inscribed on recto: Clay County Courthouse where the first classes of the Univeristy of South Dakota were held, opening October 16, 1882 with thirty-five students. Dr. Ephriam M. Epstein, (see left) first President. Inscribed on verso: University of South Dakota. The "University" was first opened in 1881 in the Court House (shown herein) by the enterprising people of Vermillion of its (Clay) County, who donated a campus and erected the first builing without territorial aid. The Territorial Legislature or about 1862 had located the legislature [legislature crossed out with pencil and university written in its place] at Vermillion, but made no provision opening it, although frequently petitioned. (Located at the later site of the post office.)
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.