An unidentified student peers through the telescope at the observatory located on the north side of Inman Field on the University of South Dakota campus. The observatory was built in 1917 at the cost of $6,500. Features of the observatory included a transit room, a reception room, and a circular tower measuring fourteen feet in diameter, which housed the five-inch refractor telescope. Students taking astronomy classes focused on such topics as meteorology, mapping, and navigation. Dr. Thomas E. McKinney, William Ekman, Merten Hasse, and Robert Adams were professors of astronomy at different points during the lifespan of the observatory. The observatory was demolished in September 1972.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.