Office of University Relations
SDSM& T News
501 E. St. Joseph Street • Rapid City, SD 57701- 3995
Phone: ( 605) 394- 6082/ 2554 • Fax: ( 605) 394- 6177
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 3, 2000
LOCAL STUDENT COMPETES AT NATIONAL CONCRETE CANOE COMPETITION
- SDSM& T finishes in 11th place
Kevin Potts of Boston, Nebraska is a member of the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology’s ( SDSM& T) Concrete Canoe team. Potts is a senior, civil and environmental engineering major at Tech. SD Tech’s Concrete Canoe team finished in 11th place at the National Concrete Canoe Competition with their canoe Looking Glass, held June 24- 26 in Golden, Colorado. A total of 26 teams of engineering students from across North America traveled to Golden for a weekend designed to be both challenging and fun. The event continues to challenge the knowledge, creativity and stamina of the students, while showcasing the versatility and durability of concrete as a building material. The 13th Annual National Concrete Canoe Competition was hosted this year by the Colorado School of Mines.
More than 250 teams competed in 20 regional competitions to qualify for participation in the National Competition. SDSM& T earned a berth to Nationals by winning the Rocky Mountain Regional Competition.
In the National Competition, 70 percent of the total team score is based on engineering design and construction principles used, report presentation and oratory skills. The remaining 30 percent is based on the performance of the canoe and the paddlers in five different race events: Men’s and Women’s Slalom/ Endurance Races, Men’s and Women’s Sprint Races and a Co- Ed Sprint Race.
A breakdown of SDSM& T’s placing in the races incudes: Women’s Slalom/ Endurance Race - 14th, Men’s Slalom/ Endurance Race - 6th, Women’s Sprint Race - 10th, Men’s Sprint Race - 12th, and Co- Ed Sprint Race - 6th. Additionally, Tech finished in 5th place for Best Final Product.
The 13th annual National Concrete Canoe Competition is sponsored by the American Society of Civil Engineers ( ASCE) and Master Builders Inc.
The paddlers for SDSM& T’s Looking Glass canoe and their hometowns are: Jim Cokely of Scotland, and Ryan Koontz of Sturgis competed in men’s sprint race; Trygve Trovik of Norway, and Josh Warren of Sheridan, WY competed in the men’s endurance race; Jessica Gould of Black Hawk, and Rhaub Walker of Rapid City competed in the women’s sprint race; Karen Carda of Hermosa, and Heidi Anderson of Rapid City competed in the women’s endurance race; and Heidi Anderson, Karen Carda, Ryan Koontz, and Trygve Trovik competed in the co- ed race.
- more - - Page 2 -
Other students from Tech’s ASCE chapter include: Rich Anderson, Rapid City; Chris Baer, Freeman; Charlie Baker, Rapid City; Andy Baker, Rapid City; Jed Brich, Ogallala, NE; Miriam Grenz, Bismark, ND; Kevin Potts, Boston, NE; Randy Ringstmeyer, Winner, SD; Donnie Slag, Dickinson, ND; Liz Stout, Rapid City; Mike Towey, Rapid City; and David Tullis, Rushville, NE. Jed Brich and Kevin Potts are co- chairs of the concrete canoe competition, and Justin Fejfar and Josh Sletten are co- chairs of the steel bridge competition. Beau Obrigewitch is President of the SDSM& T ASCE chapter, and Dr. M. R. Hansen, Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, is the faculty advisor.
( I: univrel/ pressrel/ 0600 Concrete Canoe results Boston, NE)
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.
The work from which this copy was made did not include a formal copyright notice. This work may be protected by U. S. copyright law (Title 17, United States Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and other uses of protected works. Uses may be allowed with permission from the copyright holder, if the copyright on the work has expired, or if the use is fair use or within another legal exemption. The user of this work is responsible for compliance with the law.
Devereaux Library. South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.