The South Dakota State University Archives
acquired the papers of former Congressman and Senator Thomas A. Daschle in 2005. Senator Daschle graduated from SDSU in 1969 with a degree in political science. This collection documents his distinguished twenty-six year
public career in the U.S. House and Senate. Senator Daschle's papers include correspondence, legislative documents, photographs, audiotapes, videotapes and other materials covering Daschle's professional life.
Gertrude Stickney Young was a professor of history at South Dakota State College from 1907 to 1942 and a writer of historical sketches of South Dakota. This collection of her papers is composed of manuscripts, correspondence, published works, and other personal materials.
South Dakota State University was designated as an official U.S.
depository library in 1889. These materials cover a wide range of topics including agriculture, business, commerce, education, health, social issues, current events, congressional issues, and statistics. In addition to the
Federal Documents published by the GPO, the collection includes a large collection of maps and microforms as well as State of South Dakota Documents.
Hobo Day is the homecoming celebration for South Dakota State University. The first Hobo Day occurred November 2,
1912. Homecoming thrives at South Dakota State University and is the largest one day event in the state. The return of alumni to their alma mater for a weekend of football, fun and memories has flourished and grown over the
decades, embodying the essence of Jackrabbit Pride.
The collection of photographs features activities that were held around and during Hobo Day. Included are images of Hobo Day activities, marching bands, the Beard & Pigtail Contest, the Bummobile, Blue Key Smoker, Hobo Day
Committee, dignitaries and parade marshals, early years of Hobo Day, parade floats, football games, razor burial, royalty, Kangaroo Court, additional parade pictures, Hobo Day promotion images including buttons, and Hobo Day
pictures from the 1990s and 2000s.
The South Dakota State University's yearbook, the Jack Rabbit was issued by the
Junior Class from 1907-1934. Because of this, each yearbook for that time period documents the previous year. For example, the 1910 Jack Rabbit chronicles the events for the 1908-1909 academic year. Since 1935, the yearbooks
have been produced by the Student Association and document the issued year's activities.
The collection contains published and unpublished photographs, publications, such as media guides and programs, and records from the South Dakota State University Athletic Department Jackrabbit Sports Information Service. Collection notes: Some photographs depict men's athletics jerseys with logos bearing initials with the university's previous names (SDSU was founded in 1881 as the Dakota Agricultural College. When South Dakota became a state in 1889, the college was renamed South Dakota Agricultural College. In 1907 it became the South Dakota State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, and in 1964, it became South Dakota State University.) South Dakota State University women's athletics began in 1966. In the early years of women's athletics, there was only one uniform for multiple sports, and many of the athletes were on multiple teams.
collection consists of correspondence (1914-1916) between Henry L. Loucks and Richard F. Pettigrew during 1914-1916. R. F. Pettigrew was a lawyer, surveyor, and land developer. He represented the Dakota Territory in the
U.S. Congress and was a U.S. Senator from South Dakota after the Dakotas were admitted as states. H.L. Loucks was an economist and a Populist candidate for Governor of South Dakota in 1890. The collection is mainly
political in nature, dealing with issues of the Progressive movement in the United States in the early 1900s.
This collection is composed of photographs, planning materials, and programs related to a South Dakota basketball delegation trip to Cuba in 1977. Senator George McGovern organized the trip after visiting Cuba in 1975.
The trip, from April 4-8, 1977, was a joint venture between the Senator McGovern and Senator James Abourezk, and between the University of South Dakota and South Dakota State University. A total of twenty people travelled as a delegation and included Dave Martin, SDSU Sports Director, Senators McGovern and Abourezk, several members of the national press, and five students and five advisors from SDSU.
The George and Evelyn Norby Brookings, S.D. and Brookings County, South Dakota Photograph Collection is composed of photographic images of Brookings, South Dakota from 1886-1998 and includes downtown businesses, homes, events, schools, people, the South Dakota State University campus, and Hobo Day. There are also images of nearby towns in Brookings County, South Dakota: Sinai, Elkton, White, Arlington, and Bruce.
This collection consists of publications, documents,
images and other materials relating to the history of the Brookings area and South Dakota. These materials also include the George and Evelyn Norby Collection, which relates to the City of Brookings.
The South Dakota State University Archives and Special
Collections in the Hilton M. Briggs Library houses rare books and manuscript collections including manuscript and archival materials, books, serials, audiovisual materials, and photographs. The collection consists mostly of
materials relating to South Dakota; in particular it documents organizations, local businesses, political and community figures, individuals and families, authors, and agriculture and rural life. The collection also includes
illuminated manuscript pages from the 13th to 15th centuries and rare books.
The South Dakota State University Archives Collection contains documents, images and
other materials relating to the University, including administration, departments and colleges, committees, faculty and staff, and student organizations. SDSU was founded in 1881 as the Dakota Agricultural College. When South
Dakota became a state in 1889, the college was renamed South Dakota Agricultural College and became the state’s Land Grant College. The college changed its name again in 1907 to South Dakota State College of Agriculture
and Mechanic Arts and again in 1964 to South Dakota State University.
This collection of photographs features buildings and landmarks from the early years of the university when it was called Dakota Agricultural College, through the modern era. Researchers will find images of early
campus buildings such as Old North, Old Central, and Solberg Hall, as well as more modern buildings such as the Performing Arts Center and the Wellness Center. Images include interior and exterior photographs
as well as ground breaking, dedication ceremonies, and other events.
Collection of photographs, programs and other materials related to South Dakota State University commencement exercises. Images include ceremonies in Coolidge Sylvan Theatre (up until 1972) and Frost Arena (1973-1997), honorary degree recipients (including Badger Clark, Theodore Schultz, U.S. Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, Oscar Howe, and Senators James Abdnor, Tom Daschle, and George McGovern) as well as commencement speakers.
The South Dakota State Poetry Society is directed by a board made up of nine South Dakota poets who select an editor for the annual competition of poetry and recommend the South Dakota Poet Laureate to the Governor. SDSPS was founded in 1927 by Dr. James C. Lindberg at Northern State College. This collection includes the South Dakota State Poetry Society´s Pasque Petals, which, first published in 1926, is the oldest poetry journal in continuous publication in the National Federation of Poetry Societies.